Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Keeping Pace With Momentum

Until recently, I had software installed on my computer that would ring with a siren every few minutes. It uses a literal siren sound like a fire engine. The purpose of this timer was to remind me to check all my charts so that I could stay on top of changing market conditions as they evolve throughout the day. One way that I ensure consistent earnings is by constantly scanning for emerging signs of new momentum. This is, after all, a profession, not a hobby!

As a trader, existing positions can often become a distraction from other emerging trade opportunities elsewhere. It seems that as traders, we often miss good opportunities because we are so absorbed with a different one. This alarm helps me to be mentally alert and to quickly locate new opportunities as they emerge. I have written elsewhere on this blog of the danger of opportunity cost/loss.

Recently, Tradestation updated its software and added some timer alarms, so I no longer need the separate software. I have a timer set in Tradstation that activates an alarm at regular intervals to remind me to quickly scan all my charts. I follow about 20 futures instruments, so even if I have a position in one instrument, I frequently scan all of them so that when a breakout occurs, I can quickly find and assess each one. It is mentally exhausting, but is necessary to keep skin in the game. Who ever said this business was easy?