Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Trading Soybeans With Smaller Margins, Limited Risk

A few traders have indicated to me that since soybeans are the most volatile of the grains, the potential risks and losses are too much for their risk profile. However, I've noticed that soybean oil and soybean meal can also be traded with a smaller margin and more limited risk. Both futures have margin requirements that are about half that of the soybean contract. The down side is that both also tend to have less liquidity than the intact bean.

I've also noticed another interesting phenomenon. I've noticed that when I intend to sell, it is most profitable to sell soybean oil. When I wish to buy, on the other hand, it is best to buy soybean meal. Meal tends to move higher, faster than the oil. Oil tends to move lower at a faster pace than the meal. Shown here are the daily charts for both. Also, the chart for soybean meal tends to more closely match that of the chart for the soybean contract.

Soybean Meal -- Moves Higher at a Faster Pace

Soybean Oil -- Moves Lower at a Faster Pace