Thursday, February 21, 2008

Soybeans: Trades 5-11


Trade #8 was too tiny for the arc to be seen, and was a small loss of 4 ticks. Trade 11 is still active at this posting, but the Klinger indicator has turned down, so I have tightened my stop in anticipation of this trade being closed out. Trade 10 started off very shaky, but has become one of the most profitable of the day.

Trading Win/Loss Ratio

Thus far, 9 of my 11 trades have been profitable, and the ones that lost money cost me only 5 ticks and 4 ticks. Good day! Working these up and down movements in the markets is what swing traders are most effective at doing.

If the trade looks questionable, I consider other factors:

  • What do other indicators tell me (for example, the Bollinger Squeeze, Moving Averages, and MACD)?
  • What do the indicators in the higher time frames suggest?
  • Is there important support or resistance at this point? In this case, prices had already found support at the same price point three times today, so I considered it to be a good risk to remain in the trade.
  • How much profit have I made so far today? Am I willing to take a little more risk, or are my profits too sparse to risk losing them today?
  • How good is volatility right now? If the past few trades have shown sufficient volatility to take reasonable profits from the market, then I consider volatility to be good.


Wheat trading over the past few days has been supported by poor volume, and liquidity has suffered somewhat. I will wait until volume and volatility improve again.