Monday, March 2, 2009

Jim Rogers On What to Own Right Now

I just try to be long things that are going to do better than the things that I am short on. By the way the best sector in the world that I know right now is probably agriculture. Everybody should become a farmer. Farming is going to be one of the greatest industries of our time for the next 20 to 30 years.

It has been finance and paper shuffling and money, now it is going to be real things and real assets.
The only sector that I know the fundamentals are improving are commodities. Many farmers in the world cannot get loans for fertilizers now, inventories of food are at 50 year lows.

Nobody can get a loan to open a mine, oil reserves are declining around the world at a fairly rapid rate, the fundamentals because of the supply of commodities is the only thing I know that is getting better.

If you need to own something I would suggest to you to learn how to own commodities and selling stocks short.

I still own my US dollars. I plan to get out of the US dollar some time this year. It seems that the short covering rally, it is an artificial rally, people are forced to cover their shorts in the US dollar and there were huge short positions.
- Jim Rogers