Friday, March 6, 2009

Gold Explodes With Unemployment Rate

Gold has risen $35/oz. since yesterday morning, including another surge upon release of the unemployment data this morning! Unemployment rose to 8.1%, slightly higher than expected, but the headline employment loss figure was almost exactly as expected. I don't trade immediately at the release of important news because the market is too volatile -- in an erratic sort of way. I will wait until at least 30 minutes later until I know what the market reaction is. I will continue to sell the rallies for the time being.

The one trend in today's unemployment data that stands out in my mind was missed entirely by the talking heads on the business cable news channels. There is a strong emerging trend of large downward revisions to previous months' unemployment data. That's not good!