Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Some of the Immutable Laws of Trading

Today I posted a comment to help a fellow investor/trader on Marketwatch.com.
Here is an excerpt of my comment:

"One of the cardinal rules I use in trading is called Rule #1 from a book by a very successful trader (who, by the way, gives it away FREE):
"Rule #1: Assume it is a bad trade until proven correct! Positions established must be reduced and removed until or unless the market proves the position correct. (from Phantom's Gift -- see my blog site for more info on the book -- absolutely at no cost whatsoever.)
"This rule has saved me a lot of pain, and has ironically also made me a lot of money! Not only is maintaining a losing position bad for my pocketbook. It is bad for my emotional state and it gives control of my money to the market instead of me keeping control of it in my hands."

If you'd like to read my entire comment, including some other laws of trading, you can read it here:
Treasuries Rise Again

The essence of Rule #1 is that you only stay in a trade if it is a profitable trade within a reasonably short period of time. All other trades are exited quickly! You don't put on a trade and then sit around praying that it will make money, all the while waiting with white knuckles and baited breath. By doing this, I save not only my money, but my sanity! I also guarantee that I will have money to trade another day!