Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Waiting On the Fed

Many futures today are in a stagnant waiting mode for the Fed statement to be released at 2:15 pm EST this afternoon. Volatility should be vigorous following that.

The grains have been fairly active today, but without huge moves in either direction. Since the Fed decision is released at the same time that grains trading closes for the day session, the impact will likely be felt first this evening.

I have been trading primarily treasuries and soybeans today. Good day for both. Treasuries, for some reason, trade more sedately than most other futures. I like them because they tend to more more smoothly and gradually, and I can place larger trades because of the smaller margin requirements. Treasuries (I trade the 10-year) are my favorite futures vehicle to trade after soybeans. I also like treasures because, since they tend to move more slowly than other futures, I can monitor and day trade other futures at the same time.