Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Diversity of Futures Instruments

Lately, due to the growing number of voices trying to blame traders for higher commodities prices and seeking to ban our participation, I have been trading other futures instruments with greater frequency.

I have traded the 10-year treasuries and the S&P 500 futures with considerable success. They are both extremely liquid. However, I have a preference for trading treasuries. I have found that I can get better executions. I can also take larger positions, since the margin requirements are lower than for stocks. I have also found that they tend to move more smoothly and with less market noise than the S&P futures.

I have found that for evening trading, nothing can beat the S&P futures. They trade almost 24 hours a day except for 15 minutes in the afternoon (4:15-4:30 pm Eastern). However, I have found that during the off hours, executions are a little slower, even though spreads are still only 1 tick. I take larger positions and exit with only a few ticks of profit.