Friday, April 4, 2008

The Incredible Sinking Soybeans

On the back of very little new grains-related news, expectations this morning were for relatively mild trading conditions and low volume. The strikes at Brazil's Paranagua port and the unresolved, albeit temporarily postponed, strike in Argentina, both continue, thus providing price support for soybean exports from the United States. However, soybeans have sold off quite forcefully at the open. I have no idea why, but as I've said before, the reason is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that it has happened. Nevertheless, yesterday's settlement price has thus far proved supportive, and prices remain higher for the day thus far.

I am making some changes to my charts in the past few days, adding back in the 7 and 23 period MAs (2nd panel) from Cahen's methods. I had deleted them because the Bollinger Moving Average is nearly identical to the 23 period Moving Average (the Bollinger MA is just a 21 period MA, vs. the 23 period MA), but I am finding greater value in visualy having the two MAs together in a single panel.